When you were starting out with your business, did you have any second thoughts? Did you ever stop and think “Am I doing the right thing?” We all know the struggles when we are starting out. We try to make a name for ourselves, get recognised despite the competition. We put in hours and hours of work to connect with clients, to show what we can do and sometimes it is just not enough. But despite the setbacks, what is important is maintaining an attitude for success.
It is normal for challenges to come up in the course of running a business. It is normal that we face unexpected setbacks that we have not accounted for when we were plotting our year. What is not normal is if you get home from running the business – day after day feeling tired and dejected.
If you have ever experienced this, or if you are going through this right now, you have to change your mind-set, then you have ask yourself these questions:
- Go back and revisit your why. Why did you choose to be in this business? Why did you decide to start your business? Why real estate and not technology, or finance. Why did you decide to start the business? Is it because you want more time to spend with family? Or is it because you want to have more control of your own time?
- Ask, then act and not just react. What do you dislike of the current situation? Is it something you can change? What can you do to change it?
You see, when you are feeling low, you have to go back and think of your purpose. You have to look for your motivation. What do you love about the business? Once you find that it’s time to act. Do something. If you have setbacks, if you find something blocking your path then find your way around it.
- Concentrate on your genius. Your genius is one thing that comes naturally to you. A task, or something that you do not have to mentally prepare or force yourself to do. Concentrate on that and whenever possible, outsource the other tasks to leave yourself time to breathe and rest.
- Keep learning. The saying that goes – ‘our education does not stop in school’ is especially true when you are running a business. Keep learning the trend, make sure you know the latest news and developments. Find ways to stand out in a crowded marketplace. Find out what makes you stand above and separate from all the competition.
- Just keep going. In any business it is not always smooth sailing. If you come across roadblocks, just find a way around it. Just keep going while maintaining an attitude for success. There is no shortcut to success. The ones who win the race are the ones who did not give up.